Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mail

The US Post Office is swimming in red ink.
Repeated postage price hikes over the last few years have not managed to bring a balance to the equation and it is now facing budget deficits approaching $4B.
Meanwhile, the amount of mail in the system is decreasing, as people have switched to electronic delivery of documents and are using online tools such as e-banking.

One approach being considered is to eliminate Saturday mail delivery.
I mention this because it is one of the most obvious differences when I compare my mail experiences in the US vs. say in Greece.

Eliminating Saturday mail delivery may be slightly less convenient, however it will bring the experiences of people in the US closer to those of people in other parts of the world.
It will also save a bunch of money and will actually provide the Post Office with a smaller carbon footprint.
I think I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment