Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Indian Summer

Last Saturday we experienced snow flurries in Pittsburgh and a temperature which struggled to reach the high 40'sF (10C).  Every night since then the sky has been clear and the temperatures dip down to (or below) freezing.  Every morning I scrape ice off my car's windshield -- the meteorologists talk about a "hard frost".

Despite the frigid mornings however, the last few days the weather has been warm and sunny, with temperatures ranging from 60-70F (16-21C).  My mid-day walks in the woods are an absolute pleasure and the warmer temperatures provide a chance to wear short-sleeve shirts for a few more days before the cold weather returns with a vengeance.

Traditionally this is called "Indian Summer" and it is a part of autumn I really look forward-to every year.
According to the wikipedia link I inserted above, Indian Summer typically occurs between mid-October and late-November.  While the colors on the leaves this year are not as dramatic as in past years, it is the balmy temperatures which really make these days so enjoyable.

The picture was taken in the latter part of October, as I was driving around my neighborhood, when the leaves were still mostly on the trees -- now they are mostly on the ground.

Speaking of driving, the car's heater needs to work in the morning to warm-up the frigid car, while if you drive during midday, you might actually get to use the A/C -- that's another definition of Indian Summer, I guess.
My advice to myself: enjoy it while you can, since the cold and cloudy skies will be here soon enough - and the "white stuff" will not be far behind.

Feel free to follow the link to my Facebook below to see some of the pictures I have taken during autumn in Pittsburgh (and feel free to connect with me while you are there):
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=235126&id=820847511

No comments:

Post a Comment