Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Thoughts

Today is the first working day of Spring 2011 (Spring officially began last weekend). 
While experiencing nature's re-birth, thoughts wander to what the future might have in store for us. 
I am not referring to geopolitical changes as much as technology here.

For example I have previously posted my thoughts on Mobile Payments and even mentioned a futuristic Cash-Less Society.  It appears Mobile Payments are expected to hit the mainstream at around 2015, while it might take a little longer for the Cash-Less Society concept to take root (2025+). 
You might be wondering "How does he know that?" (scroll down)

On the Sustainability/Green front, Fuel Cells are certainly close at hand (a couple of years to hit mainstream), however Smart Meters don't make it to mainstream until 2015 and for Piezoelectricity to be widely used it will likely be past 2020.


On March 9, I posted a link to this excellent infographic to my Facebook page - I just wanted to expand on the concept in this note.
Michell Zappa (michellzappa.com, or @mz on Twitter) has pulled together knowledge from diverse fields to create a vision of what the next 25 years might hold for emerging technologies: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663367/infographic-of-the-day-the-next-25-years-in-emerging-tech 

Like it or hate it, Michell's infographic will definitely make you think.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, John, and Chronia Polla for today's feasts (for Hellenes only!). The concept of Cash-Less Society reminds me of the Paper-Less Office touted when computers started taking over our desktops. The years that followed saw an expansion in the size of wastepaper bins in order to receive the reams of useless paper spewed out of printers used at the drop of a hat. Therefore I am quite a bit skeptical. On another tack, is the elimination of cash a good thing? Nowadays we are well on our way to achieving a Cash-Less Society in Greece, but everybody is pointing their fingers accusingly at our country for doing just that! As Obelix would put it, ils sont fous tous les autres!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late xronia polla from me Antoni and thanks for the comment. I like the way you turned the concept of cash-less society around -- I would laugh if it wasn't so sad. As for the paper-less office, I feel I am moving in that direction (and woe is me if my hard drive fails by the way), however it is a slow evolution. Xairetismata apo to xionismeno Pittsburgh -- https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=820847511#!/photo.php?fbid=10150146362567512&set=a.66614997511.70714.820847511&theater

    ReplyDelete