Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Coolest Job Ever

A smile subconsciously crept across my lips as I read a recent New York Times article: 
"With 'Coolest Job Ever' Ending, Astronauts Seek Next Frontier

I was briefly transported through the mists of memories long forgotten to my early childhood years. 
I still remember watching the Apollo 11 moon landing "live" on TV on July 21, 1969 -- yes I was young, but the idea that those guys were walking on the MOON just brushed aside all the childish thoughts competing for attention inside my head and had me riveted to the TV... I remember later building plastic models of the Apollo 11 Atlas V rocket as well as a large model of the 'Eagle' lunar module -- to me at that age, being an Astronaut was indeed the 'Coolest Job Ever'.

Do you remember the answers you gave to the adults who asked you "what do you want to be when you grow up?" through the years? 
I think as reality/maturity set-in, my answers evolved somewhat as follows: Astronaut > Fighter Pilot > Airline Pilot > Race Car Driver > Tank Commander ... and eventually my love of the sciences took over and directed me to more reality-based pursuits. 

You might wonder, like me, now that the NASA missions are winding down, what will all the Astronauts do? 
Reading the NY Times article, it appears there are plenty of opportunities for employment at either agencies which work with NASA, or at private space flight companies. 

Incidentally, I've heard the term "Space Tourism" for a few years now, however I still think of it as an idea which is not quite ready for "prime time" yet.  Perhaps I am wrong though -- anyone ready for a near Earth orbit experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment