Saturday, August 15, 2009

Burning Rubber

My car failed the annual safety and emissions inspection.
The tires were too worn-out ...
Might it be that the wide tires my car requires wear-out too soon?
I certainly don't feel like I am pushing the car to its limits, driving aggressively and all that.

- The stock Michelin MXV tires lasted about a year-and-a-half (13,670 miles).
- Then I bought a set of Avon Tech M550 tyres (British spelling) - they lasted one year and one month (8,380 miles) - AVOID these tires at all costs!
- The third set I bought were a set of Yokohama Avid H4S tires - they lasted one year and nine months (15,470 miles).
- Now I just bought the fourth set - they are Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires - all this on a car that is four-and-a-half years old and has a total of only 37,520 miles on the odometer!

The tires seem to be wearing-out much too fast under what I can only describe as "normal" driving conditions.
My guess is that the tire manufacturers have figured-out how to make their tires wear-out faster, so that the drivers will need to replace them more often.
I'll apologize if I sound like a conspiracy theorist -- I think the proof I supplied above speaks for itself.

3 comments:

  1. Mporoume na sou steiloume apo tin Ellada pio anthektika elastika. Alitheia, den allazoume prin apo ta duo xronia. Xairetismata apo Roumania!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stavroula, elpizw na pernas kala stin Roumania!
    Ta kainourgia lastixa pou agorasa erxontai me eggyisi 45,000 miliwn, opote elpizw na anteksoun ligo perissotero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just changed my tyres--my Michelins ran for 50,000 miles and three-and-a-half years over any kind of ground (I drive a 1998 Toyota RAV4) and I just changed them because of their age. I now have a set of Bridgestones--I'll wait and see what happens to them!
    PS. There is an ancient joke about the man who was told that turtles live over 200 years, so he got one to see for himself.

    ReplyDelete