Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Days

How do you know when it is winter in Pittsburgh?
"When it is cold and everything is white" is one answer.
The first major snowfall of 2011 is upon us.

It started yesterday at noon, as I was walking through the woods -- it was clear at first, but it was really cold and you could "smell" the coming snow.  Then it started as tiny iceballs which bounced-off the ground, soon to be followed by larger flakes which were falling densely after about 10 minutes. 

By the time my walk in the woods was finished, it was snowing hard.

By the afternoon, there were 3-4 inches (5-8 cm) on the ground and it was still snowing hard.  All the roads were slippery and traffic was moving very slowly, as the snow plows/salt trucks valiantly tried to clear the major roadways faster than the snow could collect.  Once I arrived at my house, I shoveled the driveway, although it continued to snow hard (less snow to shovel in the morning, I figured).

This morning I woke-up early, grabbed the snow shovel and cleared the driveway and sidewalk again - it was around 20F (-7C) and the snow continued to fall, while the wind whipped at any exposed skin.  The wind chill was around 10F (-12C).  I cleared the snow off the cars and went inside to warm-up and get ready for work.  In less than an hour I was ready to leave, however my car needed to be cleaned again, as the snow was collecting at a fast pace.

Less than an hour after I cleaned it of the overnight snow, my car needed to be cleaned again before I could drive.

The schools had a two-hour delay, but a "snow-day" was not declared for our school district.
I slowly ventured out of my neighborhood and was promptly stuck in various traffic jams as cars moved slowly and people tried to get to their jobs.

A Long line of vehicles inches forward more than a mile away from the highway ramp.

Winter in Pittsburgh could also be called snow days.
FYI, the film Snow Day could also be discussed here, however I'll leave that as a subject for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment