Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ready for the Holidays?

You know this thing with the cold is getting very tiresome ... !
And winter doesn't officially begin until December 21 !
We have been under this constant barrage of frigid arctic air for many days now.
It is very cold and windy = a bad combination.
The temperature this morning was 15F (-9C), however when the wind was factored-in (the so-called wind-chill temperature), it felt like 4F (-15C).
Yesterday's high temperature was 16F (-9C), today we will get as warm as 22F (-5C), however we are not expected to get warmer than the freezing mark for the next few days.

With all this in mind, we might have a "white Christmas" after all -- or at least a very cold one.
The good news for me was that the temperature warmed-up to a few degrees above freezing last weekend and I was able to install the various lighted decorations outside my house (they help to put you in a Christmas mood, don't you know?).

Street view at night in the falling snow - reindeer in "liftoff" mode

Driveway/Walkway view - you can also see some neighbors' lighted decorations in the background

Now that the lights are up, all that is required is to actually get into the spirit!
I wish you all a blessed Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, John. I believe the meaning of "cold" is very relative. We have had -2 to -5 C these last few days, but it has been mostly dry (with occasional northern winds). A few years ago I went to Odessa, Ukraine, for a conference at the end of January, and it was -15C: ten minutes of walking outdoors left you with a frozen face and unable to move your lips to say "hello". But then again, that might have been simply chilly to an Eskimo...
    All the best for the coming Feast of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Antoni -- it seems it is pretty cold over there too (I remember the Vardari wind). I hope your Christmas is full of joy and happiness (say hello to the extended family for us)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear John,
    Your light-decoration is woderful. I hope that this arctic cold overthere would soon stop.
    We are frosen too. Today the shcools are closed. Our son, Byron, has joined the army. He is in Grevena, where the temperature is very low. I' m thinking of him and you and every frosen human being.
    My best wishes for Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    *Your writing is nery nice. It 's "litterature'. I like very much reading you, although I rarely send my comments.
    Sorry for my poor english.
    Love from
    Stavroula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments Stavroula. Your son is in the army? Wow! I too hope all the folks who are enduring the unseasonably frigid temperatures around the world experience a warm-up soon. I have to admit though that snow at Christmastime just makes it feel more special. I hope your Christmas is full of joy and happiness! Please relay our best wishes to the extended family - and especially your parents.

    Den einai anagki na grafeis ta sxolia sta Agglika -- opws noiw8eis pio aneta.
    Polla filia,
    Giannis

    ReplyDelete